Friday, July 19, 2013

To the Moon and Back

Today, Chris and I celebrate our one year anniversary! July 20, 2012 was a day that I looked forward to for a long time, even before I had even met Chris or knew if this day would come.
                      
My prayer was to soak in every precious moment of our wedding day, and I remember almost everything about the day.  Even the "unplanned" moments (a weather forecast that predicted rain for our outdoor ceremony, a groomsman splitting his pants, and various wedding details looking differently than I thought), turned into moments that we laughed about, knowing that at the end of the day, we would be married! ;) I was so excited about marrying Chris, a guy who honestly caught me off guard (in a good way) when we first became friends!
Chris and I have such a unique story of meeting each other, the events leading up to our first date, and how we fell in love.  We still look at each other every now and then and laugh about the early days, how we spent years as acquaintances and had no idea that one day we would be best friends getting married!
Our wedding day was filled with all the things we love:  Jesus, community, good music, authenticity, celebration, laughter, and joy!  Our family and friends loved us so well and sacrificed in helping us get ready for not only the wedding, but our marriage.  We could not have walked this road without our parents, pastors, siblings, friends, lifegroup leaders, bridesmaids, and groomsmen.
Chris chose 1 Corinthians 13 to be read at our wedding.  These words mean even more to me now than they did on our wedding day - words that are as humbling as they are challenging, and ones that I pray mark the way we love each other and other people:

Love is patient and kind.
Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
It does not demand its own way.
It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.
It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely. 
Three things will last forever - faith, hope, and love - and the greatest of these is love.
We were told in premarital counseling that marriage is a magnifying glass - it only enhances what is true about you before you get married.  One year later, I can say that was solid advice. My strengths have grown over this year and my weaknesses have been exposed.  We are very much at the beginning of our lives together, but I am so grateful for the gift that marriage has been.  Chris, thanks for a year of laughing, inside jokes, learning, listening, humility, and adventure, I love you to the moon and back!

No comments:

Post a Comment