Sunday, March 27, 2016

For the Most Vulnerable Among Us

Something I didn't realize about becoming a mom was how it would instantly connect me to other moms raising babies, whether I know them or not. Calling it a sisterhood or a shared demographic doesn't adequately describe what I feel, it's a deep connection to other women who have the privilege of raising a child.  In the early weeks of parenthood, I looked at moms with older kids and thought, "They made it, I think we will too." As our son has grown, the way I look at other moms has grown as well. I know the joy they describe in seeing their son or daughter smile at them, the constant questioning of whether your parenting decision is "right," and the highs and lows of having the best job in the world.


Hands down, motherhood is hard. Motherhood combined with being a refugee and having no where to call home is unimaginable. I came across an organization recently that is helping other moms in a region of the world that I've never visited, yet filled with moms who at their core are just like me.  As I read their stories and saw their precious babies' faces, I knew I had to do something. These are moms and dads who are trying desperately to provide for their children's basic needs in dire circumstances.  


A Carry the Future volunteer with a precious little refugee baby.

Carry the Future is a non-profit organization whose mission is to "secure a safe and brighter future for the most vulnerable among us...our children." Currently, Carry the Future is providing refugees (whether they be from Syria or another country) a safer means to travel with their children by gifting them with baby carriers. These are families, thousands of moms, dads, little boys, and little girls, who are living in tent cities, with nothing to call their own. Carry the Future doesn't turn down a parent in need. They have amazing volunteers on the ground in Greece who fit parents with these carriers and help meet basic needs.
So happy in her carrier!
Baby carriers. We use one that a friend loaned me almost every day, it's a basic baby item that is so very helpful. I can't imagine having to flee my home in a small boat and arrive at an unknown country soaking wet with my baby in my arms. Gifting these moms and dads with baby carriers is the least I can do, but it's something I can wrap my arms around. These are moms just like us, trying to do their best with little faces looking up at them, totally dependent on them to love, protect, and care for them.

I'm partnering with some other local women in Lexington and funds are actually available to have these carriers shipped to Greece, but we need carriers! Here are two ways you can help:

1. If you have a baby carrier you'd be willing to donate, please let me know (my email is mme_ky@yahoo.com). I'd be glad to pick it up and get it sent to those in need. The carriers most needed are the soft-structure ones with buckles that can hold up to a toddler weight-wise. (Ergo, Tula, BabyBjorn, Boba, Infantino ,and LILLEbaby are a few that work great and can accommodate a variety of ages). Money has already been donated to ship these to a distribution center, we just need carriers!

Carriers all packed up ready to be shipped to Greece.

2. If you don't have a baby carrier but would like to help, please visit this Amazon Wish List created by Rita, a Carry the Future volunteer who lives in Greece and is on the ground in Piraeus with the refugees every day. There are items in a variety of price ranges, and this is an easy and quick way to make a huge difference for these families.

Friends, family, and anyone reading this, we can do this! Please consider donating a baby carrier or purchasing an item on the Amazon wish list.

The picture below is Rita after fitting a mom with a baby carrier for her little one. I can't imagine being in this situation, but I'm thankful for people like Rita and organizations like Carry the Future who are bringing hope to these mamas and their babies. I take so much for granted as a mom, and there's something about caring for other moms and their babies that just makes sense. I hope someone would do the same for me if I was in this devastating situation. I cannot turn away and pretend this isn't happening, there is too much at stake, and these children's faces are so very precious to the heart of God. Thank you for caring for the least of these, you are more valuable than you know!
Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment